Whiplash occurs in over two million Americans annually. It can be quite painful, even while resting. Because most of us rely heavily upon our neck’s function for many of our daily movements, getting safe, effective help to treat whiplash is often a patient’s top priority.
Chiropractic solutions can heal, balance, and strengthen the injured soft tissues of the neck after a traumatic event that caused whiplash. Pulling from several different evidence-based techniques, unique treatment plans are designed around the patient’s individual needs, goals, and abilities.
Chiropractors use methods that allow the body to heal naturally, never relying on pain medication and trying to avoid spreading injuries and risky surgeries. Whiplash is one of the most common reasons to visit a chiropractor; these soft tissue injuries are often restored quickly with limited if any, downtime.
In this article, we’re answering:
- What is whiplash?
- What are the symptoms of whiplash?
- How did I get whiplash?
- What chiropractic services treat whiplash?
- And more
If you’d like to learn how chiropractic care can end your whiplash pain, this post is for you.
What is Whiplash?
When the head is violently and suddenly rocked forward and backward, the neck’s soft tissues are stretched significantly, often causing damage to those tissues and the cervical spine (the part of the spine located in the neck).
This action can be minor; however, you may still find that you have pain. It’s always responsible to seek chiropractic care when you find yourself in discomfort, even if it’s slight.
Common whiplash symptoms include:
- Dull, aching, intense, or burning neck pain
- Loss of range of motion
- Neck stiffness
- Shoulder pain
- Radiating pain from the neck into the back
- Lower back pain
- Blurred vision
- Trouble sleeping or insomnia
- Inability to focus or perform
- Neck discomfort while at rest
Like with any injury, pain can come and go and range in severity. Depending on your injury, symptoms may vary, so it’s always best to work with a healthcare provider to ensure you get proper treatment and don’t further jeopardize your neck’s health.
Do I Have Whiplash?
Because whiplash is generally due to some kind of accident, it can affect anyone at any age and living any lifestyle. If you’ve been involved in an incident that pushes the head front and back, and pain is the result, you may have whiplash.
Common conditions that cause whiplash include:
- A rear-ended vehicle collision
- Exercise or athletic injury
- A powerful hit or blow to the head or chin
- A slip-and-fall accident
- A contact sport accident
- A forceful push from the front or the back of the body
Whether you work at a desk all day or compete in weightlifting competitions, your whiplash injury can affect your everyday routine. Chiropractic is a gentle, conservative, effective approach to care, making it accessible to many kinds of patients.
Chiropractic Solutions to Treat Whiplash
When injured, it’s important to get treatment that minimizes trauma and protects your body throughout the healing process. In most cases, chiropractors stay clear of aggressive therapies and urge the body to respond to treatment using holistic means.
Our Flathead Valley chiropractic clinics offer numerous techniques that serve to reduce your whiplash symptoms by treating the source of your discomfort. We know your goal is to get out of pain fast; we make it happen by providing chiropractic methods that work together for safe, efficient results.
Some chiropractic solutions we offer include:
- Chiropractic adjustments- a quick, controlled, targeted thrust to an impacted area, restoring motion and balance, often immediately providing pain relief
- Dry needling- thin needles placed in trigger points associated with the affected soft tissues, promoting recovery and restoration
- Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization/Graston Technique- using specially created tools for scar tissue reduction and soft tissue rejuvenation and restoration
- Take-home exercises and stretches- uniquely designed wellness and strengthening programs that support improved healing and ongoing health
- And others
Neck health is getting more important, as many of our lifestyles, jobs, and activities involve technology, whether with handheld devices, working on a computer, gaming controllers, or watching back-to-back episodes of our favorite shows for hours. Chiropractic is an excellent resource to get the proper, non-invasive care your body deserves.
Flathead Valley Chiropractic Care for Whiplash
Your whiplash is likely causing disruptions to your daily routine, so getting trusted and safe chiropractic care will help you get back to living comfortably, free from restrictions that can lead to further injury or pain.
If you’ve been in an accident that’s resulted in neck pain, we invite you to schedule your appointment with us today. Our whiplash chiropractor is ready to design a plan specifically for you and give you the tools to stay healthy.